Skip to main content

Start Where You Are.

Over the last few months or so I have found myself on an emotional roller coaster. Lots of tears and laughter and new opportunities and firsts and lasts and a whole lot of middles. I have made new friends, found new passions, been to some new places, felt heartache, felt joy, ate A LOT of tacos, killed some plants, didn't buy more because it made me sad, and seen myself accomplish things that I didn't imagine happening for a few more years--all leading up to understanding myself as a human in a way that I never have before. Understanding how my heart works and why the relationships I have in my life exist in their current capacities. I understood why changing jobs was so hard for me, why saying goodbye is so hard, and why the actions of others can sometimes hurt so bad. I learned about the person I am, even though I have been here all along. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been incredibly blessed to work for some incredible people, and the jobs that I have had over the past few years working for my office, have opened up a lot of doors and given me opportunities that I would not have had otherwise. A few months ago, I went with my coworkers to a conference that my boss was presenting at, and I had the opportunity to listen to different speakers talk about challenges that we face in our field. While some of them were interesting and some of them not, one in particular stands out in my mind--not because it was fantastic and wonderful, but because of four simple words that were said:

HOW IS YOUR HEART?

The speakers were talking about work/life balance and the presentation wasn't anything special, but that one question has resonated with my heart and soul. I walked out of that room and didn't realize that the simple question that they opened their presentation with, would change the way that I look at and work with people for the rest of my life. I have often found myself asking myself this question. and wanting to ask those around me; genuinely wanting to hear the answer, but not knowing how to do so without seeming a little crazy. We ask each other ALL OF THE TIME how we're doing, yet often I feel like we don't want to know what the genuine answer is. We may have all the good intentions in the world, but asking this question with the intent of a real answer and not just "good, how are you?" is time consuming, and sometimes exhausting even.

But really, how is your heart?

Have you spent your day stressed and overwhelmed by the responsibilities and obligations in your life? Did you open it up to someone and get hurt by their response? Have you let others help you, love you, and serve you today? Is it happy, or sad, or broken? 

How is your heart?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I was reading an article online that said:

"It's about being there for others even if they aren't there for you. It's about giving love as much as your heart can allow. It's not about being special, but making others feel special."

WOW. Holy cow these words explain humans better than anything else I have ever read. We want to be loved and cherished.

So let's ask the question at hand to those we interact with..."how is your heart?" because it isn't about being special but about making others feel this way. As we do, I imagine our heart will be happier along with theirs. What would this world be like if we could do this everyday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks ago, as I scrolled through Instagram to kill some time, I came across this. I claim that you do not need to be perfect to care for others. Your heart does not have to be perfect to help others feel special. You do not need to be whole because you just need to give love as much as your heart will allow. So start now. And don't stop. And this world could become a much better place.



Give as much love as your heart can allow.
Start where you are and hold onto hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Drove to Washington By Myself

Okay first things first....I went to WA to see my friend Liz. Look how cute she is! She got a grown up job and moved to the *cutest* little town in WA and I miss her, so I took a few days for myself and went on a trip to see her. Secondly, I want it to be known that I DID invite a friend to come with me. I have a good friend who I would have loved to have join me on the trip, but when he couldn't come I was sad but didn't bat an eye. Here are the reasons that I invited him: He is excellent company. He has a great taste in music. He is friends with Liz as well. I thought it would be fun if he came. The end that is all. I didn't invite him to make the trip cheaper, to help drive, or to make me feel safer. It would have been fun if he could have come, but either way I was going to go. I drove to Washington by myself because I could. Because I am saying YES. Because I am done waiting for "someday".  Someday when I have more money, or

Things That Make Me Happy:)

chap stick letters people who make me laugh surprise visits milk delicious food smiles rain people who laugh at my jokes sleeping in a cozy bed reading a good book naps naps naps movies people who make me feel loved checking the mail rainbows belts sunshine cuddling mountains thanksgiving peaches and cream oatmeal family the bond between sisters inside jokes jokes in general understanding concepts in class harry potter rings texas photography helping people cooking eating fishing blogs hiking going on drives trucks listening nature cold cereal camping wearing hats music late night chats roommate adventures tandem bikes jumping in leaves rainboots sunsets hot chocolate laughing The Gospel of Jesus Christ basketball with my brothers love sports pumpkin pie socks workout clothes running blessings The Scriptures general conference puppies brushing my teeth people who are just genuinely good summertime snow cones guitar g

Every Day Is A Battle

Every day is a battle. Some days I win and some days I lay my head down at night and think "I will try again tomorrow." Life is hard and it was meant to be that way. But even with that knowledge and understanding it is still sometimes a struggle to get through. I am at the point where everything is bothering me. And it is little stupid things and the worst part is that in the back of my head I know that I am being ridiculous. I know that I am over reacting and that I should not be so irritated by these things. But I am. I am bothered by stupid little things. And I don't really know what to do to make that go away. I don't want to push away these people in my life because they are good people. But at the same time I get so angry when I am there and I just cant figure it out. School is crazy right now, and I just started working again, which is great but also rough because that is one more thing I need to worry about. I have a great group of friends that I love spending