Skip to main content

Tears On A Mountain Top

It seems like it was forever ago, but really it was just last week, when a friend (who I look up to more than she'll ever understand) texted me and asked if I wanted to go on a weekend trip to Southern Utah with her and a group of friends. Without hesitation I immediately responded yes! And the next day met up with everyone to figure out the details.

Friday afternoon our hodge-podge group of 11 kids (we aren't real adults) piled in cars and made our way down to St. George. And Saturday morning we headed to Zion National Park. *sighs of happiness because I adore that place*

This is where it gets interesting. The original plan was to go and hike The Narrows and I, for one, was pumped because I have never done that hike before! So naturally since that was the plan discussed ahead of time, this is what I prepared for.

SIDE NOTE: When someone asks me what my pet peeves are one of the things at the TOP of the list are SOGGY SOCKS! Literally no one in the history of the world enjoys when they have wet socks.

Anyway, with this in mind, I planned on wearing tennis shoes that I could wear without socks because I did not want to walk around with wet socks all day. The Narrows is not a strenuous hike but it definitely involves water. Sooooo that morning came and we got to the park, I took off my socks and sandals and slipped on my tennis shoes, specific for the occasion.



And then the plan changed.




We hiked Angels Landing.

Angels Landing is one of my FAVORITE hikes that I have ever done. I love it with my whole heart. And half of the group had never gone on the hike before and so while I was bummed that the Narrows would have to wait for another day, I was excited to be able to be there for these friends first time on Angels.

We started up the trail and things were going well. It reminded me that I am more out of shape than I realized and that I need to really start working out again. And it reminded me of old friends and great memories that I have on that hike. When things got hard I had great people around me to encourage and help me along. And while it was challenging I was loving every second of it.

My feet however were not. Because remember how I was prepared for the Narrows.

*NO SOCKS and CHEAP SHOES*

And my heels had blisters. (This picture is a few days later....yikes)
Our group got spread out a bit on the hike and some spent more time at the top than others. For the most part I was with people from our group but near the top I fell behind. By the time that I got to the top I could barely walk and I was completely separated from the group.

As I finally made it to the group at the top I was overwhelmed by the view. I had seen it before but this time on this day, with the most random and wonderful group of people and crippling blisters that brought me to my knees, I was in awe. I found my group and joined them for lunch. I pulled dry socks out of my bag and put them on my feet (by the time I needed them it was too late and I couldn't really stop on the trail to put socks on--if you've ever hiked Angels Landing you understand.) I chilled on top of this beautiful mountain in just my socks, ate a PB&J, and talked with the cutest international couple. It was a great moment.



As I sat quietly eating my sandwich I suddenly realized that I was crying.

I looked like an idiot, I am sure.

It is said that Angels Landing got it's name because the mountain peak is so high that only Angels could land up top. And as I sat there with bleeding blisters and a tired body, with some of my best friends who push me to be a better person,  something came over me and I could not help but get emotional.



So I cried. On a mountain top. And I am better off for it.

Then I climbed down and I spent the rest of the weekend hobbling around in sandals because I couldn't wear shoes. And I wouldn't trade a single second of it. Las Vegas and St. George treated us well.






I have a HAPPY LIFE.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Drove to Washington By Myself

Okay first things first....I went to WA to see my friend Liz. Look how cute she is! She got a grown up job and moved to the *cutest* little town in WA and I miss her, so I took a few days for myself and went on a trip to see her. Secondly, I want it to be known that I DID invite a friend to come with me. I have a good friend who I would have loved to have join me on the trip, but when he couldn't come I was sad but didn't bat an eye. Here are the reasons that I invited him: He is excellent company. He has a great taste in music. He is friends with Liz as well. I thought it would be fun if he came. The end that is all. I didn't invite him to make the trip cheaper, to help drive, or to make me feel safer. It would have been fun if he could have come, but either way I was going to go. I drove to Washington by myself because I could. Because I am saying YES. Because I am done waiting for "someday".  Someday when I have more money, or

Things That Make Me Happy:)

chap stick letters people who make me laugh surprise visits milk delicious food smiles rain people who laugh at my jokes sleeping in a cozy bed reading a good book naps naps naps movies people who make me feel loved checking the mail rainbows belts sunshine cuddling mountains thanksgiving peaches and cream oatmeal family the bond between sisters inside jokes jokes in general understanding concepts in class harry potter rings texas photography helping people cooking eating fishing blogs hiking going on drives trucks listening nature cold cereal camping wearing hats music late night chats roommate adventures tandem bikes jumping in leaves rainboots sunsets hot chocolate laughing The Gospel of Jesus Christ basketball with my brothers love sports pumpkin pie socks workout clothes running blessings The Scriptures general conference puppies brushing my teeth people who are just genuinely good summertime snow cones guitar g

Every Day Is A Battle

Every day is a battle. Some days I win and some days I lay my head down at night and think "I will try again tomorrow." Life is hard and it was meant to be that way. But even with that knowledge and understanding it is still sometimes a struggle to get through. I am at the point where everything is bothering me. And it is little stupid things and the worst part is that in the back of my head I know that I am being ridiculous. I know that I am over reacting and that I should not be so irritated by these things. But I am. I am bothered by stupid little things. And I don't really know what to do to make that go away. I don't want to push away these people in my life because they are good people. But at the same time I get so angry when I am there and I just cant figure it out. School is crazy right now, and I just started working again, which is great but also rough because that is one more thing I need to worry about. I have a great group of friends that I love spending