Skip to main content

And Old-Fashioned Idea.

So for my English class I had to write a "This I Believe Essay." I explained the essay a bit in my last post so feel free to look back and see that, but basically we were writing about a personal philosophy that we live our lives by. I have been debating whether or not I wanted to post my essay on here because it's about a topic I have already written about (in fact a line or two might be the same) but what it comes down to is that I am really proud of this essay. It is one the of the first things I have created in a while that I am really proud of and because of that, and the fact that I am so passionate about the topic, I want to share this piece of me with you. From the get-go I was so intregued by the idea of writing about a personal philosophy! You don't normally think about it, at least I didn't, but everyone no matter who you are has personal beliefs specific to them and how their live their everyday lives. This is one of mine. I hope you enjoy it, but if not that is okay too!



An Old-Fashioned Idea
I believe in handwritten letters. The way the pen glides across the paper displaying the individual personality of the sender with every curve. The way the distinct taste of the envelope lingers in your mouth for a bit after you have licked the seal. The courage it takes to put your faith in someone else to deliver your words safely; I believe in all of it. Such an idea that is old and outdated, letters allow me to connect to people in a way that modern technology will not. I often find myself feeling like I live in the wrong era, wishing everyone took the time to write and send letters to each other. Through handwritten messages, I learn more about someone then simply what they tell me. Listening to what they say instead of just the words they use, helps me learn about what is truly important in the lives of others.
It is a dying art. It is a memory that you can hold in your hand and a moment in time that stands forever still, because even though it ends, you can always start reading again. A glimpse into the soul of the writer and a true treasure to the one lucky enough to receive it. To me, a letter is one of the biggest gestures that anyone can make. I believe in taking the time to write down my thoughts and feelings, tracking down an envelope, finding a stamp, then trusting a stranger to bring my words to you. Handwritten letters help tell a story, my story, and I believe in that.
Growing up, each year when September rolled around, a handwritten card from my grandmother would come in the mail. I cherished those messages and felt her love with every single word. Each card handcrafted, with her simple cursive handwriting on the inside, bringing me words of wisdom. To this day I adore those notes from my grandma and feel so grateful that even though she is no longer here I still have these tangible memories of her. Racing my siblings, I ran barefoot across the cul-de-sac to check the mail in hopes there would be something there for me. My feet pounding the scorching pavement I sprinted with all of my might to get to the mailbox first. The giant silver box that held so many possibilities. At age sixteen, as a lonely teenager struggling with friendships and faith, two letters came from across the sea bringing hope, comfort, and strength. The love and compassion I felt through the curly “Q’s” and dotted “I’s” was life changing. And now, with envelopes tattered and worn, I still turn to them when struggling with life’s challenges. As an eighteen year old, I waited impatiently for letters ultimately deciding my future. And now, nearly twenty years old, I faithfully check the mail for letters from loved ones scattered across the globe. The same anticipation and excitement creeping up inside of me that I experienced when I was younger. I anxiously, dutifully, passionately check the mail for those personal messages addressed with my name.
I believe in leaving a legacy, creating a masterpiece, something to last the test of time. Like a craftsman, letters create something beautiful. I believe in creating that work of art, creating something to leave behind when I am gone. Handwritten letters are powerful.  In a soft, unspoken way that the sender usually does not understand, but that the receiver will never forget, letters make hanging onto every word that much more real. Like the handcrafted cards from my grandmother, I believe in sharing words with loved ones, and cherishing the personal messages I receive from others. Leaving behind something tangible for generations to come, they immortalize your words. They create memories; like the screech of the metal mailbox door or the pure joy felt when receiving a letter. My letters are precious. I keep every single one in a journal close by; ready to read at any given moment. I constantly re-read the words sent to me in a desperate hope to relive the moments when I first held each individual letter in my hand, not wanting to let any memories slip through the cracks. Besides the countless cards my grandmother sent me, I have twelve handwritten letters. From as close as Provo and as far away as The Ukraine, I have been touched by lives spanning the globe. Some funny, some serious, some religious; each individual letter holds a special place in my heart. As I hold such personal and priceless relics in my finger-tips, I would not trade a single alphabetic letter for the world. In years to come I hope and pray that one day I can share these precious letters, along with my own words, with future generations.
I believe in purchasing stamps, addressing envelopes, and sending my words off to whomever I please. Not knowing if anyone is actually reading them, I believe in putting my faith in someone else to deliver my precious words safely. I believe in sending as much as receiving; sharing the joy I find in letters and making an honest connection with people.   With tattered envelopes and creased papers, I believe in sharing my deepest thoughts and dreams, and letters give me the courage I need to do so. I believe in leaving a legacy; something bigger than myself, something that impacts other people’s lives, something that says “I was here.” I believe in an old-fashioned idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Drove to Washington By Myself

Okay first things first....I went to WA to see my friend Liz. Look how cute she is! She got a grown up job and moved to the *cutest* little town in WA and I miss her, so I took a few days for myself and went on a trip to see her. Secondly, I want it to be known that I DID invite a friend to come with me. I have a good friend who I would have loved to have join me on the trip, but when he couldn't come I was sad but didn't bat an eye. Here are the reasons that I invited him: He is excellent company. He has a great taste in music. He is friends with Liz as well. I thought it would be fun if he came. The end that is all. I didn't invite him to make the trip cheaper, to help drive, or to make me feel safer. It would have been fun if he could have come, but either way I was going to go. I drove to Washington by myself because I could. Because I am saying YES. Because I am done waiting for "someday".  Someday when I have more money, or

Things That Make Me Happy:)

chap stick letters people who make me laugh surprise visits milk delicious food smiles rain people who laugh at my jokes sleeping in a cozy bed reading a good book naps naps naps movies people who make me feel loved checking the mail rainbows belts sunshine cuddling mountains thanksgiving peaches and cream oatmeal family the bond between sisters inside jokes jokes in general understanding concepts in class harry potter rings texas photography helping people cooking eating fishing blogs hiking going on drives trucks listening nature cold cereal camping wearing hats music late night chats roommate adventures tandem bikes jumping in leaves rainboots sunsets hot chocolate laughing The Gospel of Jesus Christ basketball with my brothers love sports pumpkin pie socks workout clothes running blessings The Scriptures general conference puppies brushing my teeth people who are just genuinely good summertime snow cones guitar g

Every Day Is A Battle

Every day is a battle. Some days I win and some days I lay my head down at night and think "I will try again tomorrow." Life is hard and it was meant to be that way. But even with that knowledge and understanding it is still sometimes a struggle to get through. I am at the point where everything is bothering me. And it is little stupid things and the worst part is that in the back of my head I know that I am being ridiculous. I know that I am over reacting and that I should not be so irritated by these things. But I am. I am bothered by stupid little things. And I don't really know what to do to make that go away. I don't want to push away these people in my life because they are good people. But at the same time I get so angry when I am there and I just cant figure it out. School is crazy right now, and I just started working again, which is great but also rough because that is one more thing I need to worry about. I have a great group of friends that I love spending