Skip to main content

What Are You Scared of Today?


FACT: The smartest people that I know are the people who read.
FACT: I am nowhere near being 'the smartest person' anyone knows.
FACT: I am a work in progress.
FACT: I can become so much more than I currently am.
FACT: I am on a quest to read as much as I can for a whole year.
FACT: This is exponentially harder than it sounds.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I was scrolling through Facebook last week and I came across an article that caught my attention. Being on a "quest to read more" I clicked on the article and started to read a column written by a young lady regarding mental health, her experience, and what she longs to say to those 'dear friends' around her who are also struggling. It was a great read and I am glad that I took the time to read it, however there is one question that has stuck in the back of my mind:

"What are you scared of today?"

As I have continued with my daily life, this question has crept back in time and time again, and I cant help but think about the honest and true answers.

What am I scared of today?

Honestly, a lot! Haha and that is part of the scary.

I don't think that it was a coincidence, however, that right when this question seems trapped in my mind, is also right when a new book comes in the mail (one that I ordered in the mail before I stumbled upon the article and the question) called The Year of Yes: How to Dance it Out, Soak Up the Sun, and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes.

Shonda (can I call her Shonda? Are we best friends? I read the entire book in roughly 24 hours so I feel like we are close now.) is the creator of Gray's Anatomy (along with other TV shows) and she wrote this book exploring the year she vowed to say yes more.

Yes to things that scare her.

Let me repeat that: She said yes to everything that terrified her FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR. 
And she became someone wiser, braver, STRONGER for it.

She learned how to say yes. She learned that this yes made her no more powerful.
She learned who who Ride or Die's are.
She learned she was more than she knew.

So what am I scared of today?

I am scared of saying yes.
I am scared of not living up to the high standards that I set for myself.
I am scared of letting people down, and of being alone forever.
I am scared of being a burden to others.
I am scared of being vulnerable.
I am scared of wasted opportunities.
I am scared of car accidents and serious injuries.
I am scared of losing my job.
I am scared of losing the people who mean the most to me.

I am scared of not being enough.

But I am also scared of what will happen if I don't say YES.
If I never move past my comfort zone.
If I never become more than I currently am.

And so today, I said yes to ice cream before dinner, to speaking at conferences, to new blog posts, and to talking to people who matter. Today I said yes to becoming better.


Today I said yes to scary thing.
I said yes to yes.








PS. xoxo






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Drove to Washington By Myself

Okay first things first....I went to WA to see my friend Liz. Look how cute she is! She got a grown up job and moved to the *cutest* little town in WA and I miss her, so I took a few days for myself and went on a trip to see her. Secondly, I want it to be known that I DID invite a friend to come with me. I have a good friend who I would have loved to have join me on the trip, but when he couldn't come I was sad but didn't bat an eye. Here are the reasons that I invited him: He is excellent company. He has a great taste in music. He is friends with Liz as well. I thought it would be fun if he came. The end that is all. I didn't invite him to make the trip cheaper, to help drive, or to make me feel safer. It would have been fun if he could have come, but either way I was going to go. I drove to Washington by myself because I could. Because I am saying YES. Because I am done waiting for "someday".  Someday when I have more money, or

Things That Make Me Happy:)

chap stick letters people who make me laugh surprise visits milk delicious food smiles rain people who laugh at my jokes sleeping in a cozy bed reading a good book naps naps naps movies people who make me feel loved checking the mail rainbows belts sunshine cuddling mountains thanksgiving peaches and cream oatmeal family the bond between sisters inside jokes jokes in general understanding concepts in class harry potter rings texas photography helping people cooking eating fishing blogs hiking going on drives trucks listening nature cold cereal camping wearing hats music late night chats roommate adventures tandem bikes jumping in leaves rainboots sunsets hot chocolate laughing The Gospel of Jesus Christ basketball with my brothers love sports pumpkin pie socks workout clothes running blessings The Scriptures general conference puppies brushing my teeth people who are just genuinely good summertime snow cones guitar g

Every Day Is A Battle

Every day is a battle. Some days I win and some days I lay my head down at night and think "I will try again tomorrow." Life is hard and it was meant to be that way. But even with that knowledge and understanding it is still sometimes a struggle to get through. I am at the point where everything is bothering me. And it is little stupid things and the worst part is that in the back of my head I know that I am being ridiculous. I know that I am over reacting and that I should not be so irritated by these things. But I am. I am bothered by stupid little things. And I don't really know what to do to make that go away. I don't want to push away these people in my life because they are good people. But at the same time I get so angry when I am there and I just cant figure it out. School is crazy right now, and I just started working again, which is great but also rough because that is one more thing I need to worry about. I have a great group of friends that I love spending